IAY or the Indira Awaas Yojana was a flagship scheme launched b.y the government of India back in 1985. The objective of the IAY scheme was to deal with the problem of rising homelessness in the nation. Through the Indira Awaas Yojana, the central government used to provide financial support to the people who could not afford a shelter to live in, that financial aid was to help them build a shelter for themselves. The initiative helped the nation to control & even decrease the rising homelessness in the nation but it couldn’t match up with India’s rising population.
From the last census report of India, we got a number of homeless people in our nation and that was around 1.77 million. In 2016 the current ruling government revamped the IAY ( Indira Awaas Yojana ) as PMAY ( Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana, new guidelines were also added with the new name. The revamp was done to make the scheme more effective but the objective remains the same. Indira Awaas Yojana was one welfare scheme that was applicable throughout the nation but the PMAY has a separate extension for the rural areas which is the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana ( PMGAY )
To know more about other beneficial government schemes, check out the central government schemes section of the Infokendra portal.
IAY Beneficiary List 2021
As mentioned above the IAY scheme was revamped as PMAY hence the new beneficiary lists of the IAY scheme are no longer created. Users who want to check the beneficiary list of the new revamped PMAY scheme can follow the procedures given below. As the PMGAY is a separate extension, the procedure to check the beneficiary list is also different, both the procedures are mentioned below, users can follow according to their requirements.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana urban Beneficiary list
- Open the official portal of the ministry of housing and urban affairs by clicking on this link or using this URL, pmaymis.gov.in.
- Click on the search beneficiary option given on the homepage of the official portal.
- A drop down will appear and from there click on the search by name option.
- The beneficiary search page will open where the users are required to enter their Aadhaar number and click on the show button as shown in the image below.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana Beneficiary list
- Open the official portal of PRADHAN MANTRI AWAAS YOJANA-GRAMIN by clicking on this link or using this UR, pmayg.nic.in.
- Click on the stakeholder option given on the homepage of the official portal.
- A dropdown will appear and from there click on the IAY/PMAYG beneficiary option.
- The beneficiary search page will open where the users are required to fill in their registration number and click on the submit button.
- Users who don’t have the registration number can click on the advance search button as shown in the image above.
- Now a form will appear where the users are required to fill in the following details:
- Scheme name & Year
- BPL number
- Account number
- After filling in the information click on the search button.
For New IAY Applications
To get benefitted from the housing welfare scheme of the Indian government, the users are required to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana now as new applications for IAY or the Indira Awaas Yojana are not taken. We have provided the application procedure of the PMAY below, users can follow the procedure to apply for the scheme online or they can also do it offline by visiting the nearest Jan Seva Kendra.
- Open the official portal of PMAY by using this URL, pmaymis.gov.in.
- Click on the citizen assessment option given on the homepage of the official portal.
- A dropdown will appear and from there click on the apply now option.
- Further 4 more options will appear in the dropdown which are as follows:
- In Situ Slum Redevelpment
- Affordable housing in partnership
- Select from the options given on the page according to your requirement and a new page will open according to your selection.
- On the new page fill in your Aadhaar number and name then click on the check button to verify it through an OTP.
- After the OTP verification, the form page for the same will open where the users are required to fill in all the details asked for in the form and submit it on the portal.
Eligibility Guidelines for IAY or PMAY
Some of the basic eligibility guidelines to become a beneficiary of the IAY or PMAY are mentioned below.
- The applicant or its family must not own a pucca house.
- As the government also want to empower the women of the nation through this scheme, it is required to have an adult female in the family who will be the member in the property ownership.
- The applicant or its family must not have benefitted from any similar housing scheme in the past.
- The annual income cap is INR 6 lakhs for LIG CLSS, EWS and upto 12 lakhs for MIG and upto 18 lakhs for MIG.II
Documents required for Application
|salary certificate for salaried people & Income proof and certificate|
|financial statement for business owners|
Please note that the list only has basic documents required for the application, to check the full list we recommend visiting the official portal.
Features of the IAY Scheme
- The home constructed under the IAY scheme were given on the joint ownership basis to husband and wife and in case of widow, divorced or unmarried applicants, the ownership was given to the sole beneficiary.
- According to the guidelines of the scheme, the construction under the IAY scheme was to be done by the beneficiaries only. Involvement of 3rd party like contractors or agencies were not allowed.
- Locally sourced construction material and eco-friendly / sustainable construction models were to be followed under the IAY scheme.
- As the finacial support used to be given in installments, the initial installment was 25% of the total financial help and further installments were paid on the basis of stages of construction .
- There were time limits as well for the construction stages like after the first installment the beneficiaries were bound to complete the first stage of construction in the next 9 months to receive the second installment.
Objectives & Benefits of the Indira Awaas Yojana
The only objective behind this initiative was to tackle the problem of rising homelessness in the nation. In the initial phase, the government had plans to cover around 1 crore beneficiaries and help those 1 crore people who were living in kutcha houses. The initiative had benefits in other aspects as well as it promoted the use of Eco-friendly construction material, raised employment opportunities, etc. The funds used to be allocated in installments according to the stages of the build.
The government made sure to empower women through this scheme by providing them ownership part and in case of widows, divorced or unmarried beneficiaries sole ownership was also an option. The scheme did well but it couldn’t completely solve the problem of homelessness as the population is rising faster than the scheme implementation whether it be IAY or PMAY.